400 homes at centre of probe after carbon monoxide scare|
An investigation is being carried out on almost 400 homes over concerns carbon monoxide may be leaking from gas central heating systems.
One resident in Parkhead, in Glasgow's east end, has received hospital treatment and at least one other has be ... read more
How a new boiler can save you more than a third off your heating bill, and what to look out for.
If you live in a climate with cold winters, your central heating boiler is by far the most energy-hungry appliance in the house. A boiler in the average UK home burns over £500 worth a gas each year, and is responsible for emitting almost 4 tonnes of ... read more
Corgi Installer Live awards
HEATING and plumbing engineers will have the chance to win £1,000 cash at the industry's largest show in the UK at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry.
Corgi's InstallerLive 2007 show, from September 18-21, is expected to be a sellout with exhibitors in t ... read more
Danger of explosion
A CENTRE for people with learning disabilities was nearly blown to pieces at the weekend following a gaffe from bungling burglars.
The burglars broke into the Segontium Centre in Caernarfon some time between Saturday morning and Monday morning, an ... read more
YOUR OPINION: WILL CHAMBERS ON DECENT HOMES
Will Chambers, managing director of LK Accreditation, which specialises in utilities testing and inspection, explains why health and safety is core to the success of improving housing conditions.
Since the introduction of the Decent Homes standard ... read more
Cooker fire started by toddler
SMOKE alarms alerted a family when a toddler turned on a gas cooker hob and started a fire.
The incident in Valley Road, Banbury happened at just after 7.30pm on Saturday evening. Two fire appliances from Banbury attended but the fire had already b ... read more
Bogus fitter installed gas boiler
A bogus Shrewsbury gas fitter has walked free from court despite being told that a boiler he illegally fitted could have caused someone’s death.
Martin Allan Lewis was fined £500 and must pay £500 costs after he admitted falsely claiming he was re ... read more
GAS LEAK MADE SAFE
A Perthshire flat at the centre of a gas leak had been issued with a safety certificate, it was revealed yesterday.
A total of 17 adults and children had to be evacuated from their homes in the Muirton estate after an internal pipe burst on Sunday ... read more
Still waiting for a new boiler
A pensioner who was left with no hot water or heating is still waiting for his new boiler.
Dennis Woods, 77, was promised a new boiler in February, as part of the Government's Warm Fronts grant scheme. But when his existing boiler had to be remove ... read more
We're all still cooking on gas!
TENANTS are celebrating after being told by Pennine Housing that they can keep their gas cookers, rather than having to switch to electric.
Pennine Housing has agreed to improve the kitchen ventilation at properties in Southgate, Elland, to ensure ... read more
Kier Islington celebrates CORGI certification
Kier Islington Gas Services, which undertakes domestic gas servicing, repairs and installations for Islington council residents, is proud to announce that it has achieved CORGI certification.
CORGI certification was formed in 2001 and is awarded ... read more
A sign of the need for safety checks on all gas appliances.
TENANTS are being shamed into having their gas appliances serviced by having signs fixed to their homes by their landlord.
Coast and Country Housing is fixing metal signs to the outside of houses as a last resort to persuade tenants to allow engin ... read more
Thief used illegal meter to take gas
A THIEF who stole more than £2,000 of gas from the mains put himself and his neighbours in “catastrophic” danger.
Bryan Lewis Hacker, 52, was caught using a stolen gas meter illegally rigged up to the main supply for 17 months after British Gas cu ... read more
Long wait for gas alarms
ELDERLY and disabled residents have been left without vital carbon monoxide detectors for their homes after Durham City Council ran out of stock.
Some residents in homes belonging to the council have been waiting several weeks for faulty devices t ... read more
Company steps in after safety detectors blunder
A COUNCIL blunder which left hundreds of elderly residents without replacement carbon monoxide detectors for their homes was last night on its way to being solved.
The Northern Echo reported on Tuesday how pensioners and disabled people living in ... read more
Keeping it simple
The Health and Safety Commission (HSC) and Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have today published their simplification plan as part of their continuing commitment to better, smarter regulation to help business comply and so improve health and safety. ... read more
Dangerous blame game
EVER since the death of Durham University undergraduate Anne Brennan 12 years ago, The Northern Echo has done its best to highlight the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and the importance of detectors being fitted to homes.
We are, therefore, ... read more
HSE warns landlords to test gas appliances after a family suffers carbon monoxide poisoning and fines are imposed
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has warned landlords to ensure gas appliances are safe for tenants. The warning follows the prosecution of two landlords after a mother and two children were hospitalised as a result of carbon monoxide (CO) poiso ... read more
Time for a range?
A freestanding range cooker will add instant style and character to your kitchen while providing a unique cooking experienceA freestanding range is the ultimate symbol of warmth and comfort. Once seen only in the kitchens of affluent Victorian househ ... read more
Health Protection Agency Issues Carbon Monoxide Advice For People Returning To Their Homes After Flooding, UK
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) alerted people returning to their homes in flood-hit areas to the dangers of using indoors portable generators, camping stoves or other gasoline, propane or natural gas devices that are meant for outdoor use.
Pr ... read more
Fake gas man gets jail
Ken Parry has been jailed for working as a gas fitter with phoney credentials.
Kenneth Parry, age 52, of Alma Street, Trecynon, was found guilty of carrying out work with fake credentials, fitting boilers without proper qualifications and ignoring ... read more
Kidney patient has grim choice in gas supplies for home
A KIDNEY dialysis patient has been given the grim choice of doing without heating, hot water or cooking facilities or living with a gas supply which does not meet safety standards.
Tommy Burgess, who like his wife Paula also suffers from diabetes, ... read more
Wales carbon monoxide danger
Wales is one of four regions in the UK where people are more likely to suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Llanelli AM Helen Mary Jones today expressed concern over this after receiving a report from the national watchdog for gas safety in the ... read more